I was 15 miles into my Monday morning ride on the Suncoast Trail with my friend, Kathy, when I heard my cell phone sounding. Today, summer showed up in Florida; the thermometer peaked over 90 degrees before 9:00. I quickly braked and dug into the sweaty pocket on the back of my biking jersey attempting to retrieve my phone, hoping I'd get to it before the ringing stopped. On Saturday, we had received an email from Michigan; our Vlad coordinator learned that we had finally been assigned a judge. Apparently this judge has the reputation as the "fast" judge, whatever that means. We were just thrilled to have something, anything. If having the "fast" judge is a bonus for us, then all the better... we are grateful. The waiting game plays tricks with your mind, attitude, good humor, patience, faith... Everything gets tested. Every day that passes during this wait is another day that a wrench could get thrown into the mechanical process and anything is possible. There are no guarantees in this game and it's a challenge to keep a positive attitude through it all.
I saw that the caller was, indeed, our coordinator from Michigan and I signaled a big thumbs up to Kathy, since we had just been discussing whether today would be the day that we'd finally get "The Call." I answered, "Hi Lorien!" I heard from her excited voice, "We've got a court date!" I don't think I could have had a bigger smile on my face and my heart started pounding. June 24. Further off than we were hoping, but perfect nonetheless. I explained to Lorien that since I was miles from home on a bike in the middle of a wooded trail, I'd get myself home, connect with José and then call her back right after lunch so we could discuss the details of visa requirements and travel dates.
Three months and eight days after meeting little M in Children's Home #2 in the outskirts of Vladivostok, we have a court date... and the fast judge. Oh happy day. I called José to share the news before pedaling off toward our Starbucks pick-me-up. "José, I just had a call from Lorien. We've got a court date!" I could feel his smile through the phone. I told him we were headed back and that Lorien was expecting our call.
I celebrated with Kathy over an iced Starbucks soy latte and celebrated with José over a big kiss. It's a very good day.
Now down to business... acquiring visas and figuring out our travel route. Since Evan is out of school as of June 7, our travel calendar is clear. Jose´s employer is extremely understanding and supportive of adoption, so his travel schedule is clear. We plan to return to Vladivostok via Seoul, Korea, as we did the first trip. Our biggest question is whether to travel to Moscow after our court date and ten-day waiting period for little M's visa or to use the courier to do it for us. Apparently it's an 11 hour flight from Vlad to Moscow. While we would love to see more of Russia than just the quaint and industrial port city of Vladivostok, it's probably more prudent (and cost effective) to send a courier. That way we only have to pay for one airfare to Moscow rather than four. We're running numbers now and working with a travel agent to see what we can come up with. It would be a shame to travel twice to Russia and not see Moscow. In this case, I just keep reminding myself why we're going to Russia...
This afternoon when Evan came out of school before our daily bike ride home together, I shared the news with him. He nearly jumped off his bike with excitement. Just this morning he was asking when does he get his little brother. Every night he asks if he can sleep in their new bedroom — I reply, it's not quite finished yet. And it's not. A few more details. Tonight when I tucked him into bed, I said, as I often do, "do you know how lucky Mommy and Papa are that out of ALL the little boys in the world, we've got you?" He replied, "and M!" Yes, and M. Almost. It's a good day.
That's awesome news! So happy you'll be returning really soon. We had Ivan courier for us and it was alot less expensive! You'll be in Russia again before you know it!!
ReplyDelete